Ginger shots may be on-trend right now, but don’t underestimate their value or benefits. Ginger has properties that strengthen your immune system, protect cognitive function, prevent disease, treat illness and infections, and even support weight loss. When you take your ginger in a shot, you take on board nourishment that will do you good all day long.
What Are Ginger Shots
Ginger shots are beverages of concentrated ginger root juice, taken in small doses. Ginger shots may be ginger juice alone, or they may contain added ingredients like lemon, turmeric, or cayenne, to enhance flavor or increase their nutritional value.
You can buy ginger shots pre-made, but they tend to be expensive, especially if they are high-quality (which is what you want). And remember that you’ll be purchasing them for daily consumption. Fortunately, you can make your own ginger shots with the following simple recipes.
Why Ginger Shots Are Good for You
Before we get to the recipes, here’s a little more motivation to go to the trouble of making ginger shots. The main compound found in ginger is called gingerol, and it deserves credit for many of the health benefits of ginger shots.
Since getting enough ginger in your diet is challenging, taking daily ginger shots ensures you get more than enough to enjoy the rich benefits.
When to drink ginger shots
For best results, you should consume a ginger shot every day. Drink it first thing in the morning and on an empty stomach.
Ginger Shot Recipe
Here is a quick and easy recipe where you don’t need a juicer. You can use your blender for this one.
- Ginger: you should use fresh, but in a pinch, you can also use powder.
- Lemon: use fresh-squeezed for the best flavor.
- Coconut water: adds a little sweetness to balance the strong tastes of the ginger and lemon.
- Cayenne pepper: adds heat and helps with digestion and circulation.
- Wash and chop your ginger root. You don’t have to peel it. The chopping makes it easier on your blender.
- Squeeze a lemon or two, depending on how much ginger you’re using. The lemon adds vitamin C to your mixture.
- Blend the ginger chunks, lemon juice, and coconut water until smooth.
- Strain your mixture and press the rest through the strainer with the back of a spoon.
- Pour yourself a shot and down it quickly.
Don’t drink more than a shot per day. Ginger shots, in excess, can cause heartburn.
Are you ready to take your gut health to a new level? Try our delicious, probiotic water kefir shots. Check out Sunny Culture today.
Green Apple Ginger Shot Recipe
Here’s another ginger shot recipe that includes green apple for a yummy twist. This recipe is for the use of a juicer (if you have one).
- Piece of ginger root - washed and scrubbed. (About 1 inch long)
- 1 cup (packed) spinach leaves
- ½ a small green apple, with the core removed
- 1 large lemon
- A pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Chop up the pieces of ginger, apple, spinach, and lemon small enough for your juicer.
- Remove the lemon seeds and cut away most of the skin, leaving the white pith around the flesh.
- As you juice everything, alternate between soft and harder ingredients.
- Pour the juice into a shot (small) glass and down it quickly.
Tips for the Best Ginger Shots
Now that you have a couple of excellent recipes for making ginger shots, here are some tips to follow for making yours the best.
- Where possible, use fresh or ground ginger. If fresh ginger is too strong a flavor for you, consider using ground ginger. It tastes more earthy and less intense than when it’s fresh. If you don’t have a juicer or a high-speed blender, making ginger shots will be easier with ground ginger. (Approx. 1 teaspoon of ground ginger = 1 inch of fresh ginger.)
- Add other ingredients to enhance the health benefits. Consider adjusting your basic recipe to include additional healthy, nutrient-rich ingredients like turmeric root, apple cider vinegar, raw honey, pineapple or orange juice, or aloe vera juice.
- Chase your ginger shot with a drink of water later if it helps. The flavor can be pretty intense.
Science-Based Benefits of Ginger Shots
Here are just a few of the top benefits of drinking ginger shots,
- Treats Nausea
- Powerful Antioxidants
- Improves Cardiovascular Health
- May Fight Cancer
- Relieves Menstrual Pain
- Helps with Indigestion
- Increases Metabolism
The Last Word on Ginger Shots
Ginger shots are a delicious way to incorporate nutrition into your diet. They’re quick and easy to make, and their impressive list of benefits is proven by research.
Our belief that everyone deserves a healthy gut is motivated by three core values - wellness, quality, and joy. Are you looking for a healthy drink that is ethical and delicious? Visit Sunny Culture to learn more.